Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hips Don't Lie

Today was Zumba day 4.

I showed up right on time tonight and to a packed room. So many people looking to Zumba their way to the top. My imagination often gets the best of me and tonight, I felt like I was auditioning for a Broadway show...afterall, with the recent surge of musicals based on the music of [fill in name of artist here], it's only a matter of time before a few musicals get made. My favorites I would like to see are as follows:
* Spice World - The Musical
* Mr Jones & Me - A Musical Dedicated to Dreads & the Counting Crows
* Don't Stop Believin' (really, why hasn't this been made already?)

But in the name of Zumba, when I dance, I am auditioning for Shakira's musical. Oh yes, that latin lady knew how to shake it!

So back to the atomosphere tonight. It was a packed room with lots of girls ready to Zumba. Robby got up to the front and started to move and shake, not breaking down the moves, but expecting us to follow along. I was on the left side of the room tonight where there is no mirror in front of me, but one to the side. So for the first few songs, I was the champion of moving & shaking, but then I noticed the mirror to the side of me. Though my head said "Shakira who?" my body was shaking more like that embarrassing relative who thinks the hottest dance move is the hands above the head and move your feet a bit move.

Worse still, the girl in front of me had it. She owned her dance moves. She was snapping and pointing at all the right times. When "Womanizer" came on, she looked like Britt. "Jai Ho", you would have sworn she was a Bollywood princess...dating Slumdog Millionaire. I started to try to incorporate snaps and winks. Nope, too much like I have turrets. So I just started to watch her.

I finally loosened up a bit, though it's safe to say that I likely would not have passed the audition had there been one tonight. But I'll get her on Thursday...I will be moving in my room, learning how to shake these hips. (Is "Shake Your Bon Bon" still relevant? If so, that's what I'll be doing.)

1 comment:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Shake your bon-bon, ha! Totally relevant. You are hip.