Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Who's That Chick? Who's That Chick?

It's been a long week...lots on the plate so I'll give a brief rundown:
Wednesday: Ran
Thursday: Ate
Friday: Ran
Saturday: Zumba (with Cindy)
Sunday: Rested
Monday: Ran
Tuesday: Conference Called (5 total)

Which brings me to today. I woke up this morning and had my first of two conference calls at 9am. After the call (and 2 cups of coffee), I was ready to hit the streets...er, the treadmill. It was FREEZING today! I threw my hair into a ponytail, laced up my sneakers, and threw on my new Nike capris, a t-shirt and a hoodie for the walk to my apartment gym.

I have been running here since the beginning of this crazy adventure. At most, I have had to bear being in a small room with maybe 3 or 5 other people, but usually I have been alone which allows me to set the TV, grab my US Weekly (for motivation) and zone out during my run while keeping up with the Kardashians and the ladies of The View. **Sidenote: last week I went to the gym in the morning and watched the most atrocious attempt to use hand weights...looked like she was trying to do an Indian Rain Dance...but I digress**

I walked the gym, new Us Weekly in hand and was disturbed to find out that there were several men in the gym...and they were wielding paintbrushes. Disturbed, I went to the front office where I was given a trial pass to LA Fitness. I was going to have to put more effort into running before even stepping onto a treadmill. I hopped in my car, and drove the 2 miles to the gym.

When I got to the gym, I was reminded of the movie "Dodgeball: An Underdog Story". In the movie, Ben Stiller plays the owner of "Globo Gym". They are a mega gym with all kinds of amenities. Not only that, their motto was "We're better than you, and we know it". Yeah, it felt a little like that.

I was met by the general manager, Nick, who was a little schmoozy and wanted me to have a full tour of the gym. I didn't feel like I could just tell him that I only wanted to "use the treadmill for 30 minutes, so nope, I'm good", and thus got stuck seeing the racquetball courts, spin cycles, hot tub, daycare (oh yes, there was daycare), locker rooms, etc. It was intimidating! Finally, I got a breath in and was able to say I was in a time crunch. I walked my way up the stairs to the cardio machines and stepped on the treadmill to do my routine. Sadly, I was forced to watch some stock market channel on silent while running, but I did get to listen to some music.

My first 5 minutes were spent in the trance of Rhianna. I listened to "We Found Love" and then followed it with "Who's That Chick"...a song that inspires me to be exactly what I want to be...the girl everyone asks about. Unfortunately for me, I got my wish today, but not in the way I wanted to.

My first 2 minute run came up, and I started to go, only to find that my new Nike capris were probably not the best running attire. Turns out, they're too big. I ignored tugging for as long as possible, hoping that they would settle, but only to realize that my small of my back and beyond were going to be exposed to the entire gym. Globo Gym was GOING to laugh at me. The minutes were going by so slow as every 4 seconds or so required a tug up of the pants, a tug down of the shirt. I tried to mask it, but there's no way to do a tug gracefully. It was evident that I was not the "that chick" that Rhianna speaks of...I was "THAT chick" that no one will befriend. THAT chick.

My run ended and I stepped to the side to devise a plan. I could tie my sweat shirt around my waist? Or maybe pull the capri part up? In the end, I high waisted the capris...and tied the sweatshirt around my waist.

My traumatic moment faded, but I will always remember never to wear those pants to run again.

Tomorrow, I will go back to Globo Gym to try a class. I should take advantage of the free membership!

No comments: