Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Suavemente!

Today, I Zumba'd. Yes, I believe that Zumba is a verb.

Today's Workout: Zumba at Revel Fitness in Carmel
How I Felt During: started off feeling dumb, then sweaty, then embarrassed, then excited. That order!
Music: "Sound of Sunshine" by Michael Franti, "DJ Got Us Fallin in Love" by Usher, "Sexy & I Know It" and "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO, "She Wolf" by Shakira (oh yes.) and "Rollin on the River" by Tina...don't laugh, that one hurt
How I Felt After: Sweaty. Sweaty Sweaty Sweaty. OH, and sweaty.

I walked in like the new kid in class. I stressed slightly before about what I was going to wear (what exactly constitutes the party work out attire? Sequins?) I felt like I needed to look like this:


But, in the end I left the bright colored spandex and backwards cap at home (also, is she wearing spandex overalls and a sports bra? I think this is a "don't") I felt confident with my choice of my "cute workout attire" of black Nike Capris and sea foam green Nike top. I wanted to be the cool kid in the Zumba class. When I walked in, it was obvious I was new. Revel Fitness is one of those places that the owner knows and greets everyone and she wants to be your friend. I love it.

I met some other people and tried to pull off walking into the class like I had been there before and as though my hips, like Shakira's, don't lie. Why did I feel dumb? Oh, because I had no idea what I was doing. Suddenly, the years of dance classed I subjected myself to for years prior flew out the window. How does one move their arms and feet in such a motion? Why can't I remember to hold my stomach in? Must I be forced to look at myself??

I was embarrassed. Yep, I felt like I was in the middle of the room alone. However, it was then that the greatest thing happened. I got over my vanity and realized that my sweaty state was getting a workout. And despite my best efforts, I was not the center of everyone's attention (thank God), but everyone was just doing their best. The important thing in Zumba is not how you look, but how you feel. If you start to enjoy yourself and embrace the immortal words of LMFAO you too will find that you are "Sexy and You Know It".

Overall, calories were burned, good times were had, laughter ensued, death did not become me, and I am a survivor of my first Zumba experience. I can't wait til Thursday. I'm doing Zumba Tone!

No comments: